- I have answered a shout-box query on natural gas pricing issue in today’s Discover It blog. Take a look at it here.
- Something about vehicle recall in
- Bajaj has decided to recall some of its 220 cc and 200 cc Pulsar bikes from the market following detection of components’ malfunctioning.
- This, it appears, is not the first such recall. A couple of years ago Maruti called back about 500 Zens because of coolant leakage in the cars. Hyundai Motors also had replaced the grill of Elantra because the customers reacted badly to it. Daimler Chysler too had replaced a faulty brake sensors in its cars. Honda Siel had replaced faulty parts in about 2000 Accords.
- Globally two notable recalls were:
- Ford’s recall of Explorer SUVs because of Firestone tyres.
- Mitsubishi’s recall of 514,000 vehicles after a raid on its headquarters revealed a huge pile of unattended complaints from customers.
- The airline that pioneered gambling in mid-air!!
- Ryan Air.
- It is set to launch in-flight gambling. With this it hopes to not charge the passengers at all for flying!!
- RFID revolution
- You should read articles like these at times. “Wear your chip or eat it” that appeared in today’s ET. I find that articles like these are better read at least once instead of relying on notes made by somebody like me.
- Look at the myriad possibilities in which RFID can be used!! Do you remember seeing these tags anytime while you were shopping? RFID tags are also being used in transport sector, asset tracking, railway container movements etc.
- Bofors, Quattrocchi blah blah blah
- I got really tired of this case. This is what is called public indifference. People seem to be no longer interested in this case. This is what happens when cases take years to get solved.
- You know that Quattrocchi was arrested in
Argentinarecently and as usual, we – – lost the case to extradite him from there, because our case is weak. India
- A former CBI Director, Joginder Singh feels that there is still a strong case for his extradition. He feels that there is strong evidence in the form of a November 1985 contract between AE Services, the subsidiary of a firm owned by Quattrocchi, and
, to have him extradited. This agreement required Quattrocchi’s company to win the contract for Bofors by March 31, 1986 for a 3% commission. If you look at the fact that Bofors contract was actually awarded on March 24, 1986 and an amount of $7.34 mn was paid to Quattrocchi, the case of prosecution is strong to get the extradition. Bofors AB Bihar’s new liquor policy
- It seems to be allowing liquor vends to be opened every 8 km!!
- New treaty for EU agreed upon
- The 27 bloc of the European nations has finally agreed on a new EU treaty.
- Luxembourg PM
- Jean Claude Juncker
’s PM Poland
- Jaroslaw Kaczynski
- Some terminology relating to astrology!!
- Take a look at this – Clairvoyance corner.
- It has some interesting new names to learn – cartomancy (tarot reading), aura reading, tasseography and crystal gazing.
- What does ‘Pulse’ in Pulse Polio program stand for?
- This was a question that some of you asked me through shout-box when we noted about this program in our Discover It blog. Take a look at our noting in Discover It here.
- Earlier I remember having answered that it is the periodicity of immunization that gives it the name.
- Now it is answered in today’s TOI Open Space column that it stands for Post-Resuscitation and Initial Utility in Life Saving Efforts.
- What are NSG countries?
- They are the Nuclear Suppliers’ Group. The group comprising of 45 countries seeks to contribute to the non-proliferation of nuclear weapons or other nuclear explosive devices. It does this by regulating nuclear exports and nuclear-related exports through implementation of guidelines with appropriate safeguards, physical protection, non-proliferation conditions and other required restraints.
- We have noted this in the context of Indo-US nuclear deal. Even though the US amended its laws to deal with the nuclear India, for India to become officially recognized as a nuclear state, the NSG also has to allow nuclear fuel supplies’ trade to be conducted with the country by the other members of the NSG.
- And before we log off for the day, are we still on a high on yesterday’s video? Do you ever watch the program ViQ on Channel V? I really like that program. Take a look at this funny video, you will know what I am talking of…