- MM Punchi Commission on Centre-State ties
- The government appointed the Commission yesterday. The other members of the Commission are: Dhirendra Singh, V.K. Duggal and N.R. Madhava Menon.
- The Commission’s terms of reference include:
- To examine what could be the role, responsibility and jurisdiction of the Centre during major and prolonged outbreaks of communal violence, caste violence or any other social conflict.
- To review other aspects of Centre-States relations including taxes and linking of rivers.
- To examine whether there is a need to set up a Central law enforcement agency to take up suo motu investigation of crimes having inter-State or international ramifications with serious implications on national security.
- To study the feasibility of supporting legislation under Article 355 for the purpose of suo motu deployment of Central forces in the States if and when the situation demanded.
- To study the role, responsibility and jurisdiction of the Centre vis-à-vis States in promoting effective devolution of powers and autonomy to Panchayati Raj institutions and local bodies.
- To promote the concept and concept of independent planning and budgeting at the district level and linking Central assistance of various kinds with the performance of the States.
- To study the need and relevance of separate taxes for freeing inter-state trade to establish unified domestic market.
- To examine the role of Governors, emergency provisions, financial relations, economic and social planning, Panchayati Raj institutions and sharing of resources, including inter-State river waters.
- Rostropovich dies
- Legendary Russian cellist and emblem of resistance to the Soviet system Mstislav Rostropovich died yesterday at the age of 80.
- He was persecuted and expelled in 1974 by the Soviet authorities.
- Final guidelines on Basel II issued by the RBI
- The RBI issued these guidelines on capital adequacy and market discipline for implementation of Basel II capital adequacy framework.
- The revised framework comes into operation from March 31, 2008.
- Cricket World Cup
- Steve Bucknor of
is appearing for his 5th successive World Cup final. His first appearance was in 1992. Australia
- Previous World Cup finals:
London; West Indies bt by 17 runs Australia
London; West Indies bt by 92 runs England
London; Indian bt West Indiesby 43 runs
- 1987: Kolkata;
Australiabt by 7 runs England
- 1992: Melbourne;
Pakistanbt by 22 runs England
Lahore; Sri Lankabt by 7 wickets Australia
London; Australiabt by 8 wickets Pakistan
Johannesburg: Australiabt by 125 runs India
- Stephen Hawking flies weighless aboard a jet
- Prof. Hawking teaches Mathematics at the
. He has done groundbreaking work on black holes and the origins of the universe. Universityof Cambridge
- He suffers from a paralyzing Lou Gehrig’s disease also known as ALS.
- Flash laptops
- We all know that hard disk drives in laptops (as in PCs) are made of moving parts and generate lot of heat and consume lot of power.
- The industry has come up with flash hard drives as an alternative to these conventional hard drives.
- Fujitsu has come up with these for the first time in the market.
- Flash drives promise laptops that are lighter, faster, and won’t generate heat. They can process data much faster and consume a lot less power.
- One issue that works against them apart from their cost is the limitation of storage space at 128 GB. But technology should be overcoming this problem in a few years.