- Do you know how many seats are there in all the central institutions of higher education where OBC reservation is sought to be introduced from 2007-08 academic session?
- It is reported that last year about 1,24,377 students were admitted to these institutions.
- I presume that there are as many seats.
- Babli Project dispute
- Maharashtra is constructing a barrage across
Godavariat this place. Andhra Pradesh contends that the construction of this barrage would result in reverse flow water and that AP would be denied it due share of water from the Godavari Tribunal’s award dated July 26, 1980.
- The Supreme Court which heard the matter directed that the project can be gone ahead with by
Maharashtrabut without the proposed construction of 13 gates at the barrage.
- Yudhvir Award
- Given by Yudhvir Foundation, which was formed in 1991 to perpetuate the memory of late Yudhvir, freedom fighter, journalist and founder of ‘Hindi Milap’ daily.
- The foundation honours those who excel in different fields.
- Latest and 16th award was conferred on Jahdish Mittal and his wife Kamla, for their contribution to art.
- Tejas –
’s Light Combat Aircraft India
- This is an indigenously designed and developed aircraft. It made its successful maiden flight at the HAL airport near
- The successful test flight marks the beginning of series production.
- Gujarat IPS officers arrested for fake encounters
- Most of you would have read about this arrest. They have killed three people suspected of being Laskar-e-Taiba militants in a fake encounter. Some comments made in ‘The Hindu’ which are worthy of note in this context:
- While the law must now take its course, it is essential that we reflect on the wider political and law enforcement culture in Gujarat and the rest of
that allows such brazen crimes being committed in the name of combating terrorism. Communal and divisive regimes thrive on the climate of insecurity, fear, and suspicion that sensational assassination and terrorism plots produce. India Goafilm festival – for short and animated films
- It is a 5 day event scheduled to be held from 28th April to 2nd May.
exports first consignment of mangoes to US India
- Promised by President Bush during his visit to
India, that the export of Indian mangoes to US would be facilitated, this promise has been kept up by the . US
- Alphonso and Kessar varieties of mangoes from Maharashtra and
Gujaratrespectively have been exported.
- The market potential is expected to be about 2.50 lakh tonnes.
joins the trillion dollar club India ’s GDP at current prices is pegged at Rs. 41,00,000 crores on the back of a strengthening rupee. Thus it joined a select group of countries as a trillion dollar economy. There are 13 such countries including India . India
- Asian weightlifting championships
- Geeta Rani won two bronze medals in ‘snatch’ and ‘clean and jerk’ categories.
- Pak set to grant MFN status to
India Pakistan, which has been steadfastly refusing to grant MFN (Most Favoured Nation) status to in its trade, seems to be finally relenting. India
- MFN status implies that all imports from
would be allowed except a handful that is included in a negative list. India
- At present all imports from
are banned, except those that are allowed in a positive list – Non-MFN status. India
- Book: “Guns, Germs and Steel” is written by Jared Diamond
- This famous book authored by the environmental biologist argues that it is not biology or race that explains the course of world history. Rather it is, ‘geography’ which has been the sole determinant of the rise and fall of civilizations.