- About generations in telecom
- 1G (First Generation): Analog systems where voice was the main traffic.
- 2G (Second Generation): All the standards belonging to this generation are digital. Around 60% of the current market is dominated by European standards. 2G includes GSM, iDEN, D-AMPS, GPRS, CDMA2000
- 3G (Third Generation): This evolved to meet demands of increase in network capacity, high-speed data transfer and multimedia applications. At present transition is happening from 2G to 3G systems.
- 4G (Fourth Generation): High-speed packet based infrastructure. Will offer download speeds of 100 mbps while on the move and 1 Gbps when indoor.
- Will tight money policy help control inflation?
- Historical data of growth in money supply (M3) and inflation shows that there was a negative correlation between these two variables between April 2002 and March 2005. The trend changed in 2005-06 indicating a weaker positive correlation. A relatively stronger correlation is observed this year i.e., 2006-07.
- SAARC summit
- The 14th summit is being held in
, beginning today. New Delhi
- SAARC nations:
India, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Maldives, Bhutanand . Nepal
- It is very easy for us to confuse
Maldiveswith . Mauritius
- Oil demand
- World oil output is estimated at 85.5 mn barrels per day. Whereas demand is expected to be in the region of 86 mn barrels per day.
’s demand is estimated to be at 7.2 mbpd (million barrels per day). China ’s demand is estimated at 2.7 mbpd. India
- New Chairperson of the NHRC (National Human Rights Commission)
- Former Chief Justice of
, Rajendra Babu has taken over as Chairperson. He will have a two year tenure. India
MiamiMasters Series: Won by Novak Djokovic of . He beat Guillermo Canas in the final. Serbia
- Laureus Sportsman of the Year
- The award was won by Roger Federer for the third time in a row.
- Russian pole vaulter Yelena Isinbayeva named the Sportswoman of the Year.
Italywon the “World Team of the Year” award for its World Cup (Football) triumph in . Germany
- Serena Williams won the “Comeback of the Year” award for winning the Australian Open after an injury and long layoff.
- French tennis player Amelie Mauresmo took the “Breakthrough of the Year” award for her first Grand Slam titles at Australian Open and