- Jessica Lall murder case
- The Delhi High Court bench comprising Justice RS Sodhi and Justice PK Bhasin has convicted the prime accused Manu Sharma.
- For details of high profile murder cases that rocked
recently see today’s Discover It blog here. India ’s President Palestine
- Mahmoud Abbas
’s Prime Minister Israel
- Ehud Olmert
- Facts and figures about Radio industry in
- Projected to grow at 32% per annum and touch Rs. 1200 cr by 2010.
- Currently radio commands a poor 2% of total ad spend in the country, in spite of its huge reach to 99% of the population.
- Radio’s share as % of total advertising pie:
21% Sri Lanka 13% USA 2% India
- Global average 8%
- Jeev Milka Singh
’s finest golfer. He: India
- Won the Volvo Masters in
(last month) Spain
- Broke into the top 50 league in the world with a win in
- Topped the Asian Tour’s Order of Merit
- Pesticola controversy revisited
- Globally there are no scientifically validated, internationally recognized methods for measuring pesticide residue levels in finished soft drinks. It is the cola ingredients – water and sugar – which are tested for pesticide residue levels.
’s first thrombosis centre India
- It has been launched at the
Narayana Hrudayalaya Hospitalin . Bangalore
- Thrombosis Research Institute,
Bangaloreis established in partnership with TRI, . London
- The key objectives of the institute include:
- Developing a simple and inexpensive test for identifying individuals most at risk of suffering from cardiovascular diseases
- To undertake population genetics and gene expression studies in the Indian population
- To develop a vaccine against heart diseases and stroke.
- Service tax devolutions to states
- Currently at 31.5%. The states are demanding that it should be increased to 50%.
- ONGC strikes it rich in KG Basin with gas discovery
- The gas discovery is placed at about 21 TCF (Trillion Cubic Feet)
- Sagar Samriddhi is ONGC’s campaign for deepwater exploration for oil and gas.
- Drilling details:
- ONGC’s own Sagar Vijay (a drill ship) was drilling in water depths of 1000 to 3000 meter zone in quest for oil in deeper waters than ever before.
- Every well costs about $20 mln or Rs. 90 cr for the company.
- Of the 33 wells drilled with the help of foreign ships, 25 were dry and the remaining yielded only negligible discoveries.
- Drill ships taken on hire cost ONGC about $150,000 per day.
- Drilling wells includes the following activities:
- Wire-line logging services
- Mud engineering
- Mud logging
- Casing and cementation
- Air and marine logistics
- Well testing
- Tax deduction at source
- According to section 194J of the IT Act, if the fee for professional or technical service contract undertaken by any professional is more than Rs. 20,000, the contract awardee has to deduct tax at the rate of 5%.
- Why is it that expanding rural presence for telecom companies is not attractive?
- Blame it on the spectrum rules.
- Current rules are based on state wide allocations of mobile spectrum, with operators receiving more spectrum if they have more subscribers. The result has been that most operators are keen to add subscribers in urban areas in view of the ready demand. Enrolling urban users can help gain more spectrum, which can help decrease congestion. So, there is little incentive to serve rural areas or develop these markets in spite of the abundant availability of spectrum.
- Threats to our booming economic times
- Widening inequalities, growing labour market tensions and new environmental pressures.
- Policies to cushion adjustment costs associated with rapidly changing demands of the work place.
- Labour market policies that are aimed protecting the workers rather than the jobs.
- As many as half the world’s malnourished children are found in just three countries –
India, Pakistanand . Bangladesh
- The incidence of child malnutrition is as much as 46% of
’s child population. India
- Medical research shows that foods rich in anti-oxidants, such as fruits, vegetables, pomegranate and flax seed in particular, negate the adverse effects of free-radicals and harmful fatty food.