- Today all of you are spared from the seriousness of the ET notes. Thank my paper delivery boy for it. Take it light. He dropped only The Hindu. Enjoy the light reading.
- In today’s Discover It, I answered some of the long forgotten questions in the shout-box. I answered something about boundary management, NRF, RLEGP and CII and FICCI. Take a look here.
- Sanjay Dutt sentenced to 6 years rigorous imprisonment
- He acquired an AK-56 in January 1993 after the riots in Mumbai from Abu Salem, and was in touch with the mastermind behind the Mumbai serial blasts. When he went to
for shooting a film, he ordered the destruction of the arms back home. The charge was possession of arms illegally and then destroying the evidence. Mauritius
- 2007 Magsaysay Award for Indian
- P. Sainath, Rural Affairs Editor of The Hindu was awarded in the category ‘Journalism, Literature and Creative Communication Arts.’
- Other Magsaysay awardees
- Jovito R. Salonga of Filipino for government service.
- Rev. Kim Sun-tae of
for public service. South Korea
- Mahabir Pun of
, for community leadership. Nepal
- Tang Xiyang of China for international understanding.
- Chung To and Chen Guangcheng of
for emergent leadership. China
- Tsundur dalit massacre case: 21 get life sentence
- In this 1991 case wherein 8 dalits were hacked to death in broad daylight, the court finally delivered the sentence after 17 long years.
- This verdict is special. This the country’s first ever special court set up for trying a case under the SC/STs Prevention of Atrocities Act, 1989 at the scene of the offence. The judge aquitted 123 of the 179 accused persons.
- Tsundur by the way is in Andhra Pradesh’s
district. Guntur ’s distinction Universityof Hyderabad
- It has become the very first university in the country to issue degree certificates with digital chip embedded in them. The chip contains the university and student’s details along with a photograph and the digitally encrypted signature of the Controller of Examinations.
- Defence chiefs unhappy with Dhruvs
- Dhruv is
’s ALH, Advanced Light Helicopter manufactured indigenously by HAL. India
- The services are complaining about frequent grounding of the fleet because of paucity spares and serviceability problems.
- They were inducted into the services in 2002 with the first one going to the Indian Coast Guard. Currently around 70 Dhruvs have been inducted into the defence forces, with a majority of them in the inventory of Army Aviation.
- Seetha Doraiswamy (82)
- Ever heard of a musical instrument called Jalatarangam?
- I had seen it for the first time sometime in 1986 while dining at a decent restaurant in
. I was impressed with it. Madras
- Mrs. Seetha Doraiswamy is considered the senior most living legend playing the instrument in the country.
- Some important constitutional provisions with regard to Presidential powers
- Article 143: President can seek Supreme Court’s Opinion on a matter referred by him to it.
- Article 111: President can send a bill back to the Parliament for reconsideration.
- NSCN(I-M) and Centre agree on ceasefire
- The 10 year long ceasefire with this north-eastern insurgent group has been agreed to be extended indefinitely.
- This agreement holds a distinction. It was for the first time that it was held in Nagaland.
- NSCN (I-M) stands for National Socialist Council of Nagaland (Isaac-Muivah) faction.
- “Operation Banner” --
UKarmy presence in ends Ulster
- British troops went to
in 1969 to control violent clashes between Catholics and Protestants. But it quickly found itself fighting the Catholic Irish Republic Army. Northern Ireland
- But now finally now in 2007 it withdrew all its forces as the province is now being governed by a coalition of Sinn Fein and the Democratic Unionist Party.
- Ahh, the paper boy might have let me down; but not The Hindu. It covered something about the quarterly monetary policy
- Key rates except the CRR kept unchanged. Bank rate kept unchanged at 6%. Repo and reverse repo rates also remain untouched at 7.75% and 6% respectively.
- CRR raised by 50 basis points (0.5%) to 7%.
- The ceiling of Rs. 3,000 crore that was there on reverse repo LAF auctions removed.
- GDP growth projection for 2007-08 retained at around 8.5%.
- Have patience? Read the full review of the RBI here. It is a PDF file.
- An excellent song that really soothes our nerves:
- I liked this song from the very first look (and ofcourse the singer too :-D). I found it so soothing that I got hooked to it and started the khoj and lo yeh nikla: