- This year’s Oscar Nomination having connection with
- Deepa Mehta’s “Water” has been nominated in the foreign language film category. The country from which it is nominated is
. But it lost the title to “The Lives of Others” from Canada . Germany
- What is its
connection? It is Directed by Deepa Mehta of Indian origin; a story centered around India ; and the cast is Indian. Seema Biswas (Shakuntala), Lisa Ray (Kalyani), John Abraham (Narayan) and Sarala (Chuyia). India
in 1938, eight-year-old Chuyia--a child bride--learns she is now a widow. Taken from her parents, Chuyia is sent to live for the remainder of her life in a widow's ashram run by the greedy, tyrannical Madhumati. There, she is befriended by the beautiful Kalyani, a young widow who is shunned by the other women and forced by Madhumati to work as a prostitute. India
- A little about Internet addresses
- In the current IPv4 (IP version 4) technology of TCP/IP based routing, there could be 450 crore (4.5 bn) unique Internet addresses. It is estimated that these addresses would be all used up by 2010.
- It is expected that IPv6 will roll out by then.
- Most of us have heard about wikipedia on the internet. It is a free online encyclopedia available on the web. Its uniqueness is that the content is contributed by anybody. And it is available for free. This is a not-for-profit venture and runs only on donations.
- Its founder Jimmy Wales has come out with another venture – a for-profit venture called “Wikia” and expects to launch a search engine before the end of 2007.
- Investment advisers to be regulated
- In a move to protect the investors from the investment advisors flooding the market, SEBI is coming out with a program of certifying the investment advisors.
- It is likely to mandate that the investment advice offered should be client specific and cannot be a free advice. Such advice cannot be given to public at large. Besides, the advisor is expected to have a certain minimum qualification to render such an advice.
- Let’s learn a bit about carbon emissions
- The magazine Time estimates that a flight from
Tokyoto emits about 2,400 kg of carbon per passenger. New York
- Indian economy’s size
- Is 4th largest in terms of PPP (Purchasing Power Parity)
- About 25,000 farmers committed suicide since 1997 all across the country.
contributes to about 25% of the country’s GDP but gets only about 5% of the investments. Balance 95% of the investments go to urban India . India
- Indian infrastructure
’s roads carry about 61% of the freight and 85% of the passenger traffic. India
- National highways constitute only 2% of the total road network and account for 40% of the road traffic.
- Average truck and bus speed today is about 50 km/hour
- Indian Railways ply about 11,000 trains, carrying about 170 lakh passengers and 15 lakh tonnes of freight every day. It accounts for only about 25% of freight traffic.